BR 81013 Brake Gangwayed
|BR 81013 Brake Gangwayed|
BR Gangwayed Full Brake 81013
|Built By||BR York|
81013 was built at York in 1956 to Diagram 711 (NB501), Lot 30173. The 'NB' signified a Gangwayed Brake used for BRUTE purposes. The majority of BR Mark 1 coaches had underframes 63ft 5in in length but a smaller number were built on 56ft 11in underframes; these were intended for use where the track curvature was too tight to accommodate the longer vehicles. 81013 is one such example.
It entered service as E81013 in the Eastern region in August 1956, unusually carrying unlined carmine livery. It was renumbered E84013 in June 1983 as part of a modification to the TOPS numbering system, before being withdrawn from service in July 1986.
84013 arrived on the SVR from Thornton Fields via Ely on 4 November 1987 having been acquired by SVR(H) in response to a request from Arley for two BGs to be converted for use as Santa's Grottos.
81013 came in for another overhaul in August 2011. On this occasion it was decided to remove a number of doors which were not required for grotto use purposes, both to reduce the overhaul time and provide a number of doors for spares. All 18 doors were removed and assessed, with the best 10 being reinstalled and the other 8 retained for use elsewhere. The two redundant pairs of double doors on each side were panelled in with 16 gauge steel sheets, each braced by five horizontal angle bars. The interior of the windows and the blanked doors were boarded over to become flush with the tongue and groove planked walls which were painted white. Later at Arley, the interior was decorated with alpine scenery painted by artist John Austin.
81013 is in Post Office Maroon livery, and is normally stored at Kidderminster, being used as the middle carriage of the ‘Santa's Grotto’ set at Arley during December until 2018, with alternative Christmas services arrangements brought in from 2019. It is owned by SVR(H).