BR 4690 Tourist Standard Open
|BR 4690 Tourist Standard Open|
BR Tourist Standard Open 4690
|Built By||BR York|
|Seats||64 standard (as built)|
|1982||Preserved on SVR|
|2007||Conversion to disabled access coach|
Service and preservation
4690 as built at York in 1957 to diagram number 93 (AC204), lot number 30375. It went into service on the Eastern Region in August 1957, where it remained apart from an allocation to the Northeast region between February 1965 and January 1968.
It was originally purchased in 1982 by a private owner for use in the SVR, arriving on the SVR from York on 21 July 1982. It operated for some years in crimson and cream livery. The owner then sold the carriage to the SVR Wolverhampton Branch who began fund raising to convert it to a fully-equipped disabled access coach. The SVR Rolling Stock Trust later became joint owner to assist with this goal, which was achieved following a major body overhaul at Rampart's Carriage Works, Derby in 2007.
4690 is seen photographed in March 2015 as part of the BR Maroon set. On 13 August 2019 it was withdrawn to allow it to have a repaint and repairs, its place being temporarily taken by newly-restored BR 4399 Tourist Standard Open. 4690 remains jointly owned by the SVR Wolverhampton Branch and The SVR Charitable Trust.
- Longworth (2013) p.59.
- SVR Stock Book Ninth Edition
- SVR Charitable Trust