BR 4399 Tourist Standard Open
|BRBritish Rail or British Railways 4399 Tourist Standard Open|
BRBritish Rail or British Railways Tourist Standard Open 4399
|Built By||BRBritish Rail or British Railways Doncaster|
|Status||Restoration in progress|
|Number||BRBritish Rail or British Railways 3083|
|1983||Preserved on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
4399 in service
BRBritish Rail or British Railways Mark 1 Tourist Standard Open (TSO) 4399 was built in 1956 to diagram number 93 of lot number 30219. Interestingly, it was built in two separate locations. The chassis was one of a job lot constructed in Swindon, which was then moved, like flat goods wagons, down to Ashford in Kent, where the rest of the body was added. The established practice of building coaches for the home region was coming to an end, and 4399 went into service on the Eastern Region. It lasted in British Rail service until 1983 when the new Inter-City high-speed trains made it redundant. The ‘Open Second’ seats 64 passengers at tables, with three cross-vestibules to enable speedier loading and unloading of passengers.
4399 in preservation
4399 arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway in May 1983 from Heaton, being at that time privately owned by D Randall and P Fitzwater. 4399 ran for several years in BRBritish Rail or British Railways blue and grey livery, until the Carriage & Wagon gang at Bridgnorth took it back to 1950s maroon with a quick repaint. However, it soon came out of service and languished in storage for many years. It is now owned by the SVR Charitable Trust. As of 2017[update] it is at Bridgnorth undergoing restoration and modification to include disabled access in a similar manner to 4690, for which it was recently awarded grant funding. 4399 will be finished in the early BRBritish Rail or British Railways livery of crimson and cream, as built, and will run in Set C.
SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Ninth Edition