BR 25686 Corridor Second
|BRBritish Rail or British Railways 25686 Corridor Second|
BRBritish Rail or British Railways Corridor Second 25686
|Built By||BRBritish Rail or British Railways Wolverton|
|Other numbers||M25686, W25686, W18686|
|Seats||64 (as built)|
The BRBritish Rail or British Railways Mark 1 Corridor Second (SK) was the most prolific of the Mark 1 passenger stock, with more than 2,200 built. Those in the Western and Southern regions seated eight per compartment, while those on Midland and Eastern routes seated six per compartment. Early examples featured veneered walls, while later batches used formica laminates. The SKs were an early candidate for withdrawal, being replaced by Mark 2 Open, HST sets and Networker Turbo units.
Service and preservation
25686 was built at Wolverton in 1958 to Diagram 146 (AA201), Lot 30426. It entered service in the London Midland region in 1958, transferring to the Western region in June 1981. In September 1983 it was renumbered W18686
25686 arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway on 11 December 1986 from Old Oak Common. It is owned by SVR(H) and is one of four such coaches converted for use as staff accommodation at Bridgnorth, where it can be seen in "George's siding" adjacent to Platform 1.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book 9th edition
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway Charitable Trust
- ↑ Longworth (2013) pp.143-4, 119.