Autumn Steam Gala
For many enthusiasts, this is the highlight of the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society year involving operating around the clock for the whole weekend and having the presence of visiting locomotives. The first Autumn Steam Galas were referred to as "Enthusiasts' Days" or "Enthusiasts' Weekends"; these normally featured home locomotives only. In the 1980s, visiting locomotives began to appear and have done so for each year the Gala has run since 1990.
The event has also extended in duration and now typically incorporates a 'Preview day' on the preceding Thursday to the standard timetable but with visiting locomotives, and three days of Gala from Friday to Sunday inclusive with overnight running on the Friday and Saturday nights. One popular operation is the running of a "Breakfast train" using the Severn Valley Venturer stock. Other common features include demonstration freight trains and shorter local, part-line services.
Visiting locomotives are also often utilised in the days after the gala for private photographic charters.
- 1975 First Enthusiasts Day, with 11 locomotives in steam.
- 1976 First Enthusiasts Weekend.
- 1984 First guest locomotive at an Autumn Gala (5051 "Drysllwyn Castle")
- 1993 First overnight running.
- 1998 First three day gala.
- 2000 The Autumn Steam Gala was cancelled due to the boiler crisis.
- 2007 The Autumn Steam Gala took place despite the storm damage which closed the line north of Bewdley. The Gala included services running on the main line to Birmingham Snow Hill as well as between Kidderminster and Bewdley, the only unaffected section of the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society.
- 2016 The Autumn Steam Gala was replaced by the 'Pacific Power' event featuring visiting locomotives LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway GresleySir Nigel Gresley, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London & North Eastern Railway 1923-1941 A3 PacificLocomotive with a 4-6-2 wheel configuration No. 60103 'Flying Scotsman' and LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway Peppercorn A1 PacificLocomotive with a 4-6-2 wheel configuration No. 60163 'Tornado'.
From time-to-time the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society publishes the number of Gala passengers, according to the method of counting these which has varied over time (for example, since 2010 documents sent to shareholders became valid as a ticket which did not need to be exchanged for travel.) The following is an incomplete record.
|Year||Number of passengers||Reference||Notes|
|2015||7,300||||Over the Preview day and three days of Gala|
|2016||n/a||Replaced by 'PacificLocomotive with a 4-6-2 wheel configuration Power' event.|
See alsoSteam Locomotives visiting the SVR for galas
SVR Passenger numbers
- SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society News 37
- SVR Forum shareholders' Passes thread
- SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society(H) published accounts
- 'Autumn Steam Gala 2014', SVR Online thread
- 'Autumn Steam Gala 2015', SVR Online forum thread
- SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society News 200