1501 is the only surviving example of a GWR 1500 class 0-6-0PT shunting engine. Although a GWR design, 1501 was built at Swindon by the Western Region of British Railways in 1949, two years after nationalisation. The class was classified as 4F by BR. Unlike the SVR’s other panniers, 1501 has outside cylinders.
1501’s working life was spent at Southall, hauling long rakes of empty coaching stock in and out of Paddington Station. It was withdrawn from service by BR in January 1961 after a working life of just 11 years 5 months, and was one of three sold to the National Coal Board for use at Coventry Colliery.
[[List of preservation groups]]
[[Category:Operational steam locomotives]]
[[Category:Locomotives at Bridgnorth]]