Jump to: navigation, search


2,896 bytes added, 27 February
Update as of date
==Legal Charge==
On 8 August 1988 [[Severn Valley Railway (Holdings) PLC]] gave a Legal Charge in favour of the County Council of Hereford & Worcester in respect of "All that land at Bewdley containing six point seven acres or thereabouts together with the buildings erected thereon." The charge was given as security against "All monies due or to become due from the company to the chargee under the terms of agreement dated 10.5.88." {{As of|20192021}} its status was is shown as 'Outstanding'.<ref>[ Companies House] (Retrieved 14 March 201913 December 2020)</ref> The Council itself was abolished in 1998 and reverted to the two separate historic counties of Herefordshire and Worcestershire.
Bewdley has limited public pay and display parking. Three [[List of shops | sales coaches]] run by support groups are adjacent to the car park.
In March 2018 the buffet adjacent to Platform 1 (but not the more recent toilet block and kitchen) was closed pending demolition of the buffet building, which took place from 16-19 July. [[BR 4593 Tourist Standard Open]] was moved to the dock in front of the buffet to be used as seating for staff and the public, with table service provided from the kitchen. In January 2020 a prefabricated timber buffet building was installed on the concrete plinth of the old buffet building, and 4593 was removed.
== Points of interest ==
====Booking hall====
The booking hall had been ‘modernised’ by BR with tall ticket windows and plywood facing. The plywood was removed in winter 1980-81 to reveal the original GWR panelling. At the same time the smaller windows were reinstated and fitted with brass wired grids acquired from the old Birmingham Snow Hill station. The balustrades in front of the windows also came from Snow Hill<ref>SVR News 59</ref>.
<Gallerygallery mode=packed heights=150px style="text-align:left">
File: Bewdley_Booking_Office_20151114.jpg | Ticket window and balustrade
The box is Grade II listed by Historic England and described as "Intact but not on original site".<ref> [ Historic England listing entry for the phone box] </ref> It arrived on the SVR in winter 1981-82 on permanent loan from the Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust<ref>SVR News 62</ref> and was originally situated on Platform 1.<ref>SVR News 66</ref>.
<gallerymode=packed heights=150px style="text-align:left">
File:Phone box at Bewdley Station - - 1454715.jpg | Phone box at Bewdley
File:Phone box rear.jpg | Rear view of phone box
==== Footbridge ====
A covered wooden [[Bewdley Station Footbridge|footbridge]] at the northern end of the station allows access between Platform 1 and Platforms 2&3. It is [[List of infrastructure|numbered bridge 10]].
<gallerymode=packed heights=150px style="text-align:left">
File:Bewdley station - north end - - 899053.jpg|Bewdley station footbridge
File:Bewdley footbridge interior.JPG|Bewdley footbridge interior
Two water towers at the southern end of Platforms 2&3 and in the MPD area allow watering of locomotives. The tower on the island platform is of GWR origin and was recovered from Stow Heath yard, Bilston in 1969. The tower next to the MPD is of LNWR origin and was retrieved from Hadley, near Wellington, in October 1972<ref>SVR News 29</ref>. Both columns were installed during the winter of 1973-74<ref>SVR News 31</ref>. Unlike at Bridgnorth and Kidderminster, the water supply at Bewdley is not specially treated, and so the columns are only used on rare occasions such as galas.
In October 2020 the [[Charitable Trust]] announced a project to improve wheelchair access to the island platform via the barrow crossing next to the MPD. The announcement noted that "''The SVR also aim to remove the water tower at the base of the platform ramp as it is causing an obstruction and puddles on the access route. This water tower is not an original feature, but was a later addition, installed during the preservation era, that is no longer essential to operations. This will be relocated to [[Highley|Highley Station]]''."<ref>[ Charitable Trust 2020 News page]</ref>  <gallerymode=packed heights=150px style="text-align:left">
File:Bewdley railway station MMB 04 6024.jpg|Water towers at Bewdley station
File:Bewdley water towers.jpg|Water towers as viewed from the platform
==== Island platform canopy ====
Platforms 2 and 3 share a canopy, built in 1878, giving passengers protection from the weather. The canopy, featuring timber frames on cast iron pillars was extended around 1900 with the new section supported on steel frames.
<gallerymode=packed heights=150px style="text-align:left">
File:Bewdley Station - - 1477635.jpg|Bewdley station from the footbridge, showing the island canopy
File:PGH Bewdley.jpg|An up train in platform 2 in April 1962 (PG Hindley)
==== Platform clock ====
The double-faced clock under the island platform canopy was built for the GWR by Kays of Worcester in the late 19th or early 20th century. It was used at nearby Stourbridge Junction until 1977 when, no longer required by BR, it was acquired by staff from [[Arley]] station. It worked until 1998, but then underwent a year-long overhaul, being re-commissioned on 10 April 1999<ref>SVR News 130</ref>.
<gallerymode=packed heights=150px style="text-align:left">
File:Bewdley station clock.jpg|Bewdley station clock
==== Gent's urinal ====
An open roofed cast iron gentlemen's urinal is located on Platforms 2 and 3 on the site of the original urinal which was built in 1896. The replacement was relocated from Melrose in Scotland by SVR volunteers and formally opened in [[Severn Valley Railway Timeline 1970-1979#1977 | September 1977]]. See 'Links' below for two copyrighted images of the urinal at Melrose.
<gallerymode=packed heights=150px style="text-align:left">
File:Bewdley gents urinal.jpg|Bewdley gents urinal
File:Bewdley gents urinal detail.jpg|Bewdley gents urinal detail
==== Portable water tank ====
A portable water tank with hand powered pump was used for the refilling of carriage water tanks.
<gallerymode=packed heights=150px style="text-align:left">
File:Water Carrier - - 1492157.jpg|Portable water tank
The token catcher opposite Bewdley North signal box was originally located opposite Bewdley South signal box, where it could be used by locomotives on the former [[Stourport Branch]]. It was moved to its present location during the 1974-75 close season<ref>SVR News 36</ref>. It is not currently in use, tokens instead being exchanged by hand.
<gallerymode=packed heights=150px style="text-align:left">
File: Token_Catcher_20110814.jpg | Token catcher opposite Bewdley North signal box
*1877: In preparation for the delayed opening of the Kidderminster Loop, authorisation was given to enlarge the island platform and provide a shelter and footbridge. New Bewdley North and Bewdley South signal boxes were also built.
*1878: The Kidderminster Loop opened on 1 June.
*1900: Authorisation was given for additional siding space including the [[Rock Siding]] at the back of Platform 3 and the siding along the far side of the yard.*1922: [[SVR staff in 1922#Severn Valley Railway (Kidderminster to Bridgnorth)|GWR staff records]] show the station had a staff of 19.
*1962: Passenger services to Tenbury ceased on 31 July<ref>[[Bibliography#Books|Beddoes and Smith ((1995)]] p. 193.</ref> (services beyond Tenbury to Woofferton had ended a year earlier).
*1963: Passenger services towards Shrewsbury ceased on 9 September, with through freight services ending at the end of November. The Public Notice announcing closure of the line can be seen behind the ‘Platform 1’ sign in the photograph to the right (a copy of the closure notice is on display in [[The Engine House]]).
A 1935 GWR plan of Bewdley shows an "Ambulance" in the Down Yard. This was a grounded M&SWJR coach body used as a First Aid training centre.
<gallerymode=packed heights=150px style="text-align:left">
File:Bewdley1898.jpg|Bewdley Station in 1898
File:Bewdley_1910.jpg|Bewdley Station circa 1910
File:Bewdley PW.jpg|Permanent Way gang at Bewdley
File:Bewdley Britain From Above 1930.jpg|Aerial view of Bewdley in 1930
File:Bewdley ambulance.jpg | Plan showing ambulance in Down Yard
{| class="wikitable
|+ Early Station Masters at Bewdley prior to 1939
!Name!!Born !! data-sort-type="date" | From !! data-sort-type="date" | To !! Comments
|Thomas Appleton||26 April 1826 Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire|| data-sort-value="1/8/1863" | August 1863||data-sort-value="31/1/1897" | 31 January 1897||Joined West Midland Railway October 1854. Retired 1897. Died 17 April 1906, Worcester
|George Smith||14 January 1867 Shipton Oxfordshire||data-sort-value="1/9/1898" | September 1898||data-sort-value="1/12/1909" | 1 December 1909||Started work 6 November 1882. Station Master at Bridgnorth circa 1917
|Frederick William Augustus Hallett||12 August 1868 Batheaston, Somerset||data-sort-value="1/12/1910" | 1 December 1910||data-sort-value="23/7/1914" | 23 July 1914||Started work 9 January 1882. Died in 1914 in nursing home at Proud Cross, Kidderminster
|Ernest James Neate Carter||21 September 1879 Slough, Buckinghamshire||data-sort-value="1/1/1914" | 1914?|| data-sort-value="1/1/1926" | 1926?||Started work 10 September 1894. Died 7 November 1959
|George William Lane||31 May 1872 Hartlebury, Worcestershire||data-sort-value="1/1/1924" | After 1924|| ||Started work 31 May 1872. Employed at Bewdley as a passenger clerk between December 1896 and October 1899. Died 9 January 1961
{| class="wikitable"
|+ Traffic statistics for Bewdley (including Northwood Halt), selected years prior to 1939
* 1938 map showing little had changed since 1927
* 1964 map showing showing changes to the southern access to the Back Road and the goods yard
<gallerymode=packed heights=150px style="text-align:left">
File:Bewdley1884map.jpg | 1884
<references />
Early Station Masters data taken from census and GWR staff records by Reg Instone, who is involved with the Signalling Records Society, the LNWR Society and the GWR Study Group.
Trustworthy, administrator

Navigation menu