The DRG Class 64 was a standard passenger train tank engine with a wheel arrangement of 1'C1' ([[UIC classification]]) or 2-6-2 ([[Whyte notation]]). This locomotive was built by the German firm of Krupp in 1934 for the German state railway Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft (DRG)
. It was first allocated to the Geldern depot at Cologne for use on local passenger services, moving to the Würzburg Shed at Nürnberg during the war initially on passenger work and later on freight.
Post-War it was allocated to the West German state railway Deutsches Bundesbahn (DB) under which in 1950 it received its first major overhaul since 1938. It was then allocated to Aschaffenburg, Bavaria working services to Darmstadt, Frankfurt, Gemunden and latterly Miltenburg. Its final months were spent on works trains at Weiden depot, also in Bavaria, last working on 18 March 1974<ref>SVR Stock Book Fifth Edition</ref>.