! Towards [[Hartlebury]] !! Towards [[Kidderminster]] !! Towards [[Shrewsbury]] !! Towards [[Wyre_Forest_Line#Tenbury_Wells | Tenbury Wells]]
| [[Stourport]] (2½ miles) )<br>via [[Burlish Halt]] (from 1930) || [[Kidderminster]] (3¾ miles)<br>via [[Rifle Range Halt]] (1905-1920)<br>and [[Foley Park Halt]] (
from 1905) || [[Arley]] (3¾ miles)<br>via [[Northwood Halt]] (from 1935) || [[Wyre_Forest_Line#Wyre_Forest | Wyre Forest]]
Bewdley station has three platforms and was formerly the junction for both the [[Wyre Forest Line | Wyre Forest]] and [[Stourport Branch | Stourport]] lines, both of which are now used as sidings.
The station is controlled by two signal boxes, [[Bewdley South signal box | Bewdley South]] and [[Bewdley North signal box | Bewdley North]]. The section through platforms 1 and 2 is the only [[Double track | double track]] section of the present SVR. This is worked under [[Absolute Block]] regulations.
The [[Bewdley Down Yard |yard]] at Bewdley is home to the [[Bewdley Carriage & Wagon Department | Carriage and Wagon department]] which supplements the [[Carriage Repair Works | Carriage Repair Department]] at Kidderminster and maintains the fleet of goods wagons. [[ The 4150 Fund]] are also restoring GWR locomotive [[ GWR Large Prairie 4150 | 4150]] in Bewdley yard. Public access to the yard is available during the annual [[Open House Weekend]] and the [[Peep Behind the Scenes]] event , organised by the 4150 Fund.
[[Bewdley MPD]] is home to the [[Class 108 DMU]]. Other operational locomotives are also stabled at Bewdley, running light engine to Kidderminster at the start and end of each day as required.
Bewdley Platform 1 is home to the Volunteer Liaison Office.
Bewdley has limited public pay and display parking.
Three [[List of shops | sales coaches]] run by support groups are adjacent to the car park.
In March 2018 the buffet adjacent to Platform 1 was closed pending demolition of the buffet building,
but not the more recent toilet block and kitchen. An open carriage was moved to the dock in front of the buffet and used as seating for staff and the public, with table service provided from the kitchen.
== Points of interest ==
The booking hall had been ‘modernised’ by BR with tall ticket windows and plywood facing. The plywood was removed in winter 1980-81 to reveal the original GWR panelling. At the same time the smaller windows were reinstated and fitted with brass wired grids acquired from the old Birmingham Snow Hill station. The balustrades in front of the windows also came from Snow Hill<ref>SVR News 59</ref>.
File: Bewdley_Booking_Office_20151114.jpg | Ticket window and balustrade
The phone box outside the station is an example of the K4 type, introduced in 1930. The K4, nicknamed the Vermillion Giant, was a combined telephone and post box. Only 50 were ever produced.<ref>[http://www.redphonebox.info/galleryK4.html RedPhoneBox.info]</ref>
The box is Grade II listed by Historic England and described as "Intact but not on original site".<ref> [https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1100700 Historic England listing entry for the phone box] </ref> It arrived on the SVR in winter 1981-82 on permanent loan from the Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust<ref>SVR News 62</ref> and was originally situated on Platform 1.<ref>SVR News 66</ref>.
File:Phone box at Bewdley Station - geograph.org.uk - 1454715.jpg | Phone box at Bewdley
File:Phone box rear.jpg | Rear view of phone box
==== Footbridge ====
A covered wooden footbridge at the northern end of the station allows access between Platform 1 and Platforms 2&3. It is numbered bridge 10.<gallery>
File:Bewdley station - north end - geograph.org.uk - 899053.jpg|Bewdley station footbridge
File:Bewdley footbridge interior.JPG|Bewdley footbridge interior
==== Water towers ====
Two water towers at the southern end of Platforms 2&3 and in the MPD area allow watering of locomotives. The tower on the island platform is of GWR origin and was recovered from Stow Heath yard, Bilston in 1969. The tower next to the MPD is of LNWR origin and was retrieved from Hadley, near Wellington, in October 1972<ref> SVR News 29</ ref>. Both columns were installed during the winter of 1973-74<ref>SVR News 31</ref> . Unlike at Bridgnorth and Kidderminster, the water supply at Bewdley is not specially treated, and so the columns are only used on rare occasions such as galas.
File:Bewdley railway station MMB 04 6024.jpg|Water towers at Bewdley station
File:Bewdley water towers.jpg|Water towers as viewed from the platform
==== Island platform canopy ====
Platforms 2 and 3 share a canopy, built in 1878, giving passengers protection from the weather. The canopy, featuring timber frames on cast iron pillars was extended around 1900 with the new section supported on steel frames.
File:Bewdley Station - geograph.org.uk - 1477635.jpg|Bewdley station from the footbridge, showing the island canopy
File:PGH Bewdley.jpg|An up train in platform 2 in April 1962 (PG Hindley)
The double-faced clock under the island platform canopy was built for the GWR by Kays of Worcester in the late 19th or early 20th century. It was used at nearby Stourbridge Junction until 1977 when, no longer required by BR, it was acquired by staff from [[Arley]] station. It worked until 1998, but then underwent a year-long overhaul, being re-commissioned on 10 April 1999<ref>SVR News 130</ref>.
File:Bewdley station clock.jpg|Bewdley station clock
==== Gent's urinal ====
An open roofed cast iron gentlemen's urinal is located on Platforms 2 and 3 on the site of the original urinal which was built in 1896. The replacement was relocated from Melrose in Scotland by SVR volunteers and formally opened in [[Severn Valley Railway Timeline 1970-1979#1977 | September 1977]]. See 'Links' below for two copyrighted images of the urinal at Melrose.
File:Bewdley gents urinal.jpg|Bewdley gents urinal
File:Bewdley gents urinal detail.jpg|Bewdley gents urinal detail
==== Portable water tank ====
A portable water tank with hand powered pump was used for the refilling of carriage water tanks.
File:Water Carrier - geograph.org.uk - 1492157.jpg|Portable water tank
The token catcher opposite Bewdley North signal box was originally located opposite Bewdley South signal box, where it could be used by locomotives on the former [[Stourport Branch]]. It was moved to its present location during the 1974-75 close season<ref>SVR News 36</ref>. It is not currently in use, tokens instead being exchanged by hand.
File: Token_Catcher_20110814.jpg | Token catcher opposite Bewdley North signal box
*1862 Bewdley has a population of 2900<ref>[[Bibliography | Handbook to the Severn Valley Railway, J. Randall, 1863]]</ref> (Population; 10869 in 2001)<ref>[http://www.wyreforestdc.gov.uk/things-to-see-do-and-visit/tourism-and-travel/guide-to-bewdley.aspx 2001 census]</ref>
*1862: When the Severn Valley Line opened, Bewdley was a crossing point and was deemed a principal station, being provided with a goods shed and goods yard. Construction of the [[Wyre Forest Line | Tenbury and Bewdley Railway]] and the [[Kidderminster Loop Line]] had already been authorised, and the station was always planned to be a junction.
*1877: In preparation for the delayed opening of the Kidderminster Loop, authorisation was given to enlarge the island platform and provide a shelter and footbridge. New Bewdley North and Bewdley South signal boxes were also built.
*1878: The Kidderminster Loop opened on 1 June.
*1900: Authorisation was given for additional siding space including the [[Rock Siding]] at the back of Platform 3 and the siding along the far side of the yard.
*1962: Passenger services to Tenbury ceased on 31 July<ref>[[Bibliography#Books|Beddoes and Smith ((1995)]] p. 193.</ref> (services beyond Tenbury to Woofferton had ended a year earlier).
*1963: Passenger services towards Shrewsbury ceased on 9 September, with through freight services ending at the end of November. The Public Notice announcing closure of the line can be seen behind the ‘Platform 1’ sign in the photograph to the right (a copy of the closure notice is on display in [[The Engine House]]).
*1970: Passenger services to Kidderminster and Hartlebury ended on 5 January, ending the pre-preservation use of Bewdley Station.
File:Bewdley1898.jpg|Bewdley Station in 1898
File:Bewdley PW.jpg|Permanent Way gang at Bewdley
File:Bewdley Britain From Above 1930.jpg|Aerial view of Bewdley in 1930
File:Bewdley-Railcar-1962-10-06.jpg|An ex-GWR DMU arrives at Bewdley in October 1962 ([[Sellick Collection]])
File:Closure_Notice.jpg | Closure notice
|+ Traffic statistics for Bewdley (including Northwood Halt), selected years prior to 1939
== See also ==
[[Bewdley Down Yard]]<br>
[[List of stations]]<br>
[[List of shops]]