Changes

Jump to: navigation, search

Bewdley

406 bytes added, 15:04, 22 June 2017
additional info and history
==== Island platform canopy ====
Platforms 2&and 3 share a canopy, built in 1878, giving passengers protection from the weather. The canopy, featuring timber frames on cast iron pillars was extended around 1900 with the new section supported on steel frames.
<gallery>
File:Bewdley Station - geograph.org.uk - 1477635.jpg|Bewdley station from the footbridge, showing the island canopy
File:Bewdley canopy 1.JPG | Underside view of the canopy showing the two different methods of construction
File:Bewdley canopy 2.JPG | Underside view of the canopy showing the two different methods of construction
File:Bewdley station clock.jpg|Bewdley station clock, installed in 1977 ex Stourbridge Junction Station
File: Bewdley_Canopy_20150528.jpg | The canopy was refurbished using materials from the old Snow Hill station.
</gallery>
 
==== Platform Clock ====
 
The double-faced clock under the island platform canopy was built for the GWR by Kays of Worcester in the late 19th or early 20th century. It was used at nearby Stourbridge Junction until 1977 when, no longer required by BR, it was acquired by staff from [[Arley]] station. It worked until 1998, but then underwent a year-long overhaul, being re-commissioned on 10 April 1999<ref>SVR News 130</ref>.
<gallery>
File:Bewdley station clock.jpg|Bewdley station clock
</gallery>
==== Gent's urinal ====
An open roofed cast iron gentlemen's urinal is located on Platforms 2&and 3. This was relocated from Melrose in Scotland by SVR volunteers and formally opened in [[Severn Valley Railway Timeline 1970-1979#1977 | September 1977]]. See 'Links' below for two copyrighted images of the urinal at Melrose.
<gallery>
File:Bewdley gents urinal.jpg|Bewdley gents urinal
Trustworthy, administrator
10,196
edits

Navigation menu