Changes

Jump to: navigation, search

Stourport

517 bytes added, 20:23, 19 May 2017
additional info and history
The line through Stourport ran east-west, the goods yard being situated south of the line. In 1885, additional sidings were installed north of the line connecting to a newly built basin on the [[Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal]]. Around this time the GWR also built two new interlocked [[List of signal boxes#List of historical Signal Boxes and Ground Frames |signal boxes]] at each end of the station; these were named Stourport North and Stourport South, referring to the overall direction of travel rather than the geography of the station itself. From late 1887 the double line between the boxes was worked under [[Absolute Block | absolute block]] regulations.<ref>[[Bibliography#Books | Vanns (1998/2013)]] p. 77.</ref>
 
A level crossing was situated immediately to the west of the station. Construction of the [[Kidderminster and Stourport Electric Tramway]] was authorised in 1896. The tramway ran along Minster Road, crossing the railway at Stourport via the level crossing at a skew angle. During the tramway's construction, the GWR took the opportunity to extend the passing loop beyond the level crossing at a cost of £349, of which the Tramway company reimbursed £202.<ref>[[Bibliography#Books|Marshall (1989)]] p. 90.</ref>
Stourport station was officially renamed 'Stourport-on-Severn' in 1934, possibly to avoid confusion with nearby Stourbridge as there was no other Stourport station.<ref>[[Bibliography#Books | Marshall (1989)]] p. 89.</ref>
Trustworthy, administrator
9,224
edits

Navigation menu