Changes

Jump to: navigation, search

Stourport

21 bytes added, 15:06, 26 September 2016
m
add links
Stourport Station was located 3 miles from Hartlebury and 37&frac34; miles from Shrewsbury. It was considered one of the principal stations on the line, with two platforms and a passing loop from opening in 1862 as well as a small goods yard and goods shed. The station building was almost identical to those at [[Bewdley]] and [[Buildwas]]. The location of the station just a short way north of the town made it perhaps the most convenient of the Severn Valley Railway’s stations relative to the town it served.<ref>[[Bibliography#Books | Vanns (1998/2013)]] p. 75.</ref>
The line through Stourport runs east-west, the goods yard being situated south of the line. In 1885, additional sidings were installed north of the line connecting to a newly built basin on the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal. Around this time the GWR also built two new interlocked [[List of signal boxes#List of historical Signal Boxes and Ground Frames |signal boxes]] at each end of the station; these were named Stourport North and Stourport South, referring to the overall direction of travel rather than the geography of the station itself. From late 1887 the double line between the boxes was worked under [[Absolute Block | absolute block ]] regulations.<ref>[[Bibliography#Books | Vanns (1998/2013)]] p. 77.</ref>
Stourport station was officially renamed 'Stourport-on-Severn' in 1934, possibly to avoid confusion with nearby Stourbridge as there was no other Stourport station.<ref>[[Bibliography#Books | Marshall (1989)]] p. 89.</ref>
Trustworthy, administrator
9,224
edits

Navigation menu