Changes

Jump to: navigation, search

Stourport

868 bytes added, 11:44, 26 September 2016
Info on the town
The area formerly occupied by the station is now part of a housing estate.
 
==The town of Stourport==
The origins of the Worcestershire town of Stourport date back to the completion of the [[Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal]] in 1771. In that year John Wesley described Stourport as a "well-built village", but following the opening of the canal for trade in 1772 the village quickly grew into a town based around the large canal basins that served as the ‘port’, reaching a population of 1,300 by 1795.<ref>[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stourport-on-Severn Stourport on Wikipedia]</ref>
 
The early growth of Stourport saw a corresponding decline in the fortunes of [[Bewdley]] as a port.<ref>[[Bibliography#Books || Marshall (1989)]] p.12.</ref> However further significant growth of Stourport was effectively ended by the opening of the Worcester and Birmingham Canal in 1816. This provided a direct link between the two towns.
 
==Gallery==
Trustworthy, administrator
9,257
edits

Navigation menu